Trail Crew Member
The Trail Crew Member is responsible for working with a crew of 3-5 individuals as well as youth corps groups and volunteer groups on both frontcountry and backcountry trail and restoration projects. Approximately half of the season will be spent in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass and Hunter-Frying Pan Wilderness Areas, with the other half of the season focusing on frontcountry projects throughout our service area. This position requires the desire and ability to live and work in a backcountry setting for up to eight days, the ability to assess and manage risks, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Work under the direction of the Field Crew Leader and Program Director on backcountry and frontcountry trail and restoration projects.
● Support RFOV equipment and tool management: ensure tools, project equipment and supplies are clean and in good working order and regularly inventoried.
● Ensure project safety and practice effective risk management strategies.
● Serve as a crew leader on volunteer projects when necessary.
● Assist with project reporting
o Accurately measure project metrics and use internal databases to record metrics
o Assist in reporting systems on progress and accomplishments of all projects and ensure consistency and clear communication internally among RFOV staff.
o Assist in keeping all project notes and details as well as partnership information.
Volunteer Coordination and Management
● Work to create a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for volunteers.
● Ensure all RFOV volunteer programs foster a positive, educational, engaging, and motivating experience for volunteers.
● Occasionally serve as a crew leader on volunteer projects, overseeing a group of 8-10 students or volunteers.