Outdoor Reading and Science Guides for Summer Camp
Have fun this summer and work for an environmental organization by teaching youth in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. BookTrails is an exciting organization that offers unique early- education programs promoting environmental awareness taught through reading, writing, and art. We are seeking Outdoor Reading Guides to join our summer programming team for BookTrails Camp. Outdoor Reading Guides will gain experience in many sectors of the organization—administration and organization, camp logistics and planning, and most importantly, teaching environmental education in an outdoor setting. They will work with the Outdoor Science Guides to teach camp lessons, plan and schedule activities, and supervise a team of interns. Staff will also have the opportunity to spend a few weeks at our overnight camp location, as well as camping trips and rafting trips with the campers throughout Northern Colorado. An unforgettable experience is guaranteed, as well as an excellent spring-board towards your next career choice. Spend your summer exploring the beautiful Colorado wilderness while teaching children and providing them with a nature experience of a lifetime.
- Create, prepare, and lead literacy activities and lessons for school-aged children that relate to camp themes
- Co-organize logistical aspects of the day, including transportation needs and planning special field trips, along with the other Outdoor Science/Reading Guide
- Provide one-on-one reading and writing help for students
- Communicate with the director about issues and updates relating to: staff, campers, logistics, parents, emergencies/ safety issues, etc
- Communicate with parents about their child’s successes and progress, as well as any behavioral issues
- Assist with morning and afternoon sign-in/out
- Act as a mentor/ supervisor for our team of 4 interns along with the Outdoor Science Guide
Superior organizational and time management skills are crucial to excelling in this position. Individuals who are receptive to close-collaboration in a fast-paced environment and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously will be assets to the organization. Ideal candidates are dedicated individuals who seek to grow as professionals and develop supportive
relationships with colleagues.
- Experience working with children, ages 3-15, preferably in an outdoor setting. Must be able to show that you have 460 hours working with children (per Colorado childcare licensing regulations)
- Must be comfortable managing groups of children up to 5, in an outdoor setting
- Must be a team player, problem solver, high energy, and FLEXIBLE
- Strong knowledge of Colorado ecosystems
- Strong reading and writing skills and a passion for literature
- Must possess strong organizational and communication skills
- Must possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited university or college
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to drive vans and trailers
- Must be able to reside in Steamboat Springs from June 1st- August 13th.
- Must be able to overnight camp at our site for 4 nights/week during some weeks
- Must love the outdoors and be comfortable with overnight camping for multiple nights in a primitive campsite.
- Must be able to attend our Camp Clean-Up Days on June 5th and August 12th.